Sunday 2 February 2014

SS Patria, Operation Exporter and fallible witnesses.

My father in 1941

Today I give two examples of why one the evidence of witnesses to any historical event shouldn’t . 
The first is my own memory of the capsizing of the Patria. Standing by the back wall of  Allenby Park after the capsizing, along with hundreds of others on Mt Carmel I watched the police and army rescue operations. The sight left a permanent impression, but, when  someone asked me the date of that event, I was about to reply,  1939.

Then I paused. Hang on, I told myself, I wasn’t living in Haifa in 1939.  We didn’t return there until January 1940.  So I checked with  the Palestine Post and yes the date is 1940 and late at that, 25th of November,to be exact.  So why do I keep thinking 1939?  I suspect that if  I had lived continuously in Haifa between 1936 and 1943 and had only been writing a memoir, I would probably still be convinced that the Patria capsized a year before it did. So now,  even if I witnessed an event for myself, I always check dates in the local newspapers of the time and consult reputable histories.

It doesn’t only happen to me. The second example happened only today.   I was online  discussing Operation  Exporter, otherwise known as the Syria/Lebanon campaign with a group of  people who had been born before WW2.  One person, who had watched his father dig defence trenches on Mt Carmel in anticipation of a German invasion from the north, wrote that  Operation Exporter took place in 1942. I would probably have agreed with him if 1941 hadn’t been such a momentous year for me  and I had had to fit several historic bits together looking for cause and effect.

The event I use as background when sorting the  major  events of 1941 in chronological order is of no significance to anyone else but looms large in my memory.   I was eight , and had been catapaulted  away from my friends at the instigation of my mother into  a class where I was by far  the youngest. The only other British girl was twelve and my father was abroad on a mission in the Balkans  and had been missing for three months,  so I couldn’t appeal to him.

At the end of April 1941 my father  returned to Palestine via the last convoy from Athens.  After his adventures in the Balkans he was in  poor physical shape.  Nevertheless the powers that be flew him almost immediately to Iraq where a British base,  Habbaniyah ,was being besieged. I don't know why they wanted him there, but when he returned about a fortnight later, obviously very ill, he refused to consult a doctor because he was too busy preparing for a show in Syria. (I can only presume it was to do with wireless or telephone support for the invasion) My mother was furious.  Anyway the result of his self-neglect was that he collapsed in his office and was rushed to the government hospital with yellow jaundice at the same time as all those nose-to-tail convoys filled with Ozzies rattled through Haifa on the way to the Lebanese border. (Yes, I know yellow jaundice is tautologous but that is what we called it in those days.)   

He was still in the government  hospital when Moshe Dayan was there having his eye socket treated after taking part in Operation Exporter.  
After  my father came out of hospital he plunged straight into setting up wireless communications against  a probable invasion from the south .

No comments: