Friday 6 July 2012

One Job Accomplished now for the Big One




I am not a natural leader.  At every management course I've attended when we  fill in questionaires to discover our best team functions,everyone else has finished up with a self-defining function such as co-ordinator or shaper or implementer. I, on the other hand always  end up as a plant!
Whenever I've asked course leaders to define the function of  a plant  they've looked embarrassed.
One said a team would be in a pretty bad way if there were two plants on it but sometimes it might be useful to have just one, another said it wasn't altogether a bad thing to be a plant, another said just act normal and it would be all right, but no one ever defined the role.
Realising then my leadership skills are obviously a bit dodgy, I was somewhat apprehensive last year when elected as the annual president of our local Writers Club last year. I sat down and created a list of targets.I had wanted to accomplish for a long time

  • Getting readers and writers to discuss at an open meeting what each expects from the other.
  • Raising the profile of SF within the club. Most members claimed never to have read any!
  • Having an open meeting with  a panel of authors, technicians and librarians to discuss where epublishing is now and how best to do it
and  hardest of all
  • Getting a consensus on the revision of our 50+ year old constitution.
  My term of office is now over. To my amazement  every target was achieved. This had nothing to do with my non-existent leadership skills but  was due entirely to our multi-talented club members' unique blend of loudly assertive, argumentative co-operation and their ability to make last ditch compromises. Leicester Writers Club I am so grateful to you.

Now, having at last finished two years of copy editing I can concentrate on trying to market my trilogy Land of Broken Promises
Anyone know an agent interested in novels set in the British Mandate of Palestine between 1933 and 1948?










No comments: